Tuesday, November 4, 2014

The 3 R's: Race, Rights and Reform 

Connection:

I am a white person living in America. Even though i do not realize it I am still more privileged than other races are. This video made me realize this even more. There are many jobs out there that I can think of that I've never seen a colored person occupy, such as teaching, lawyers, etc. I am going to school to be a teacher, so I an relate to this video, just as many other students in the class probably can. I went to a school with mostly white students. There were two black kids in my graduating class. Before i mover to Griswold, CT when I was 9, I went to school in Norwich CT. The elementary school i went to would be considered "ghetto" in a lot of peoples eyes. It consisted of mostly Hispanic and black children, yet I do not remember having one colored teacher. They were all white! And its weird that I've never even thought of this before watching the video. If i did have a colored teacher, it would not affect my education in a negative way, if anything it would effect it in a positive way because it would open my eyes up to different cultures and races. White people have it easy. They are quicker to get the jobs. If this wasn't true, and jobs didn't care about skin color, there wouldn't be a place on job applications to check off your ethnicity. Its crazy. This world we are living says we don't care about race and gender, but when you look deeper into the topic, it still seems as if we do.


I found this picture true. I am white, and its true, not only is it difficult to see the privileges and advantages I have being white, its hard to see the racism happening around me, because it doesn't affect me.

This is an interesting article that will open up your eyes!
http://www.tolerance.org/article/racism-and-white-privilege

1 comment:

  1. I like what you said under the picture about how racism doesn't affect you. its hard because there is so much racism happening around us and because it isnt happening to us we dont always notice it. which isnt right becuse we should probably really open our eyes and see everything around us happening so we can try to stop it.

    ReplyDelete